Wednesday, September 29, 2004

Chatty Cathys, or the lack thereof

Hi there, good to not hear from you! Or whatever. I just took a silly online survey about www.spun.com, which I barely ever use, so I'm in the mood to bombard you with questions about what will get you to comment on my blog, but feh, who cares. And our phone is disconnected, so communication via wires is currently at an all-time high.
Dave aka Davekwon aka Willy D is back in town, so look out for flying straw wrappers! We went to Bernies Sunday night for some hip-hop, but saw none of the actual (non-DJ) performers because they hadn't started yet at 1 AM, and I had to take Dave home. Sonofabitch. I hear they were good. That brings to mind one of the many Rush songs I hold near and dear to my heart, one of the greatest rock songs of all time, "Working Man." Beautiful, right Lee?
Saturday night was the night I had been looking forward to for a long time. Two shows: Gallagher and RJD2/Diplo!!! Andy was my rockin' sidekick for the evening. Gallagher, you know, Lee's favorite comedian, was pretty good, except that he went FOREVER!!!!! He started at 8, with 15 minutes of tossing ice and fruit into the audience, and was still going strong at 11:15 when we decided that we had to go. His actual standup was okay. It would have been alot better without his blatant homophobia and redneck conservatism, like his basic view that America's international problems are the fault of the Clintons or France. But he smashed alot of stuff, and spent hours explaining the science behind his combinations for smashing pies and the tricks he has learned over the last THIRTY YEARS! Sadly (I can see Lee crying now), it sounds like he might be near the end (at 58 years of age) because he is getting sued by some woman who got a Rolo lodged in her eye and he might lose his insurance and all that. So I'm glad we went! We got to Little Brothers too late to see any of Diplo's set, which was too bad, but that didn't stop me from buying his album. Two people I talked to really liked it, and two thought it was meh, so I guess that's not bad. But RJ killed shit! He changed up a good bit of his show from his release party show at the Wex in May, and it was niiice. His show is the kind of show you can see over and over again, though, because he's always mixing together various bits of his songs and other songs and you're always gonna catch new things. I got the single for "1976" at Mags the other day, mainly for the B-side "Get Off My Spaceship Bitch!", so I'll let you know how that is.
Duck! Movie Reviews!
1. Resident Evil 2 blew. Don't see it.
2. Shaun of the Dead, on the other hand, was pretty flippin sweet. It was funny, including lots of music jokes, and it was a decent story. "Who played this?" "It's on random!" SEE IT!
3. Garden State, also sweeeet. Zach Braff came up with a winner. Interesting story, interesting presentation, still funny.
OK, we'll wrap it up there, since this has taken me two nights to write. Tomorrow I'm gonna see Free Space, a sweet jazzy jam band from Chicago, at Ruby Tuesdays. It's been two years since their year-long stay in Columbus, and two years since I've seen them play. This way, I'll be in the middle of rocking when Rocktober commences! Friday night I want to see John Wilkes Booze at Club 202 downtown, and Saturday night is a battle between the Heroes of History and everybody else benefit show at Ruby Tuesdays, and the Grand Buffet/Wicked Lung & the Wookalar show at Ravari Room. It begins. Oh yeah:
Random Fact of the Day:
(I hate the internet soooo much for making it difficult to find a picture to put right here!!!)
You can currently buy a 7-inch single from the '70s by Yaphet Kotto at www.dustygroove.com for $29.99. What a steal!

No comments: