Thursday, November 04, 2004

SOUND SELECTAAAAAHHHHHHHHH

Yes indeedy do. Despite the oncoming gloom, Tuesday night at the Ravari Room was a good time. Mad props to Dave, Andy, Chops, Renkes, Libeth from work and her friends, Val, the 3rd Trailer Park Ninja (forget his name), and everyone else for coming out. The race for the coveted Smell the Vinyl Support Team MVP was about as tight as the presidential race, with Dave (stayed for the whole thing), Renkes (roadie duties), and Chops (turning back to the apartment halfway there to get the 45s I forgot) all in the hunt. Fuck it, I'll give it to all 3 of 'em. Thanks guys. Wicked Lung and Wookalar were serving up some tasty treats, so I had to pitch in. I had some funk, some hip-hop, some organ jazz, and some political jams. Here is a pretty accurate setlist:

Set 1
Talkin' Loud And Saying Nothin'-James Brown
Country Road-Toots & the Maytals
Summer Breeze-Charles Kynard
Double Dutch(?)-Keystones f/Malcolm Catto
Eric B. Is President-Eric B. & Rakim
Black Helicopters-Non Phixion
Gotta Pay-Wordsworth
Hypertension-Calender
This Land is Your Land-Sharon Jones & the Dap Kings
Natural Disasters-Enon
Crazy Train-Ozzy Ozbourne
Pardon My Freedom-!!!

Set 2
Water (First Movement)-The Roots
Plug Me In-Lost Boyz
Here's A Smirk-Charizma & Peanut Butter Wolf
1976 (remix)-RJD2
Only So Much Oil in the Ground-Tower of Power
Detroit Twice-El Michels Affair
Late Freight-Hank Marr
Uninvisible-Medeski Martin & Wood

Set 3
Elected-Alice Cooper
Have a Drink On Me-AC/DC
Light Up or Leave Me Alone-Traffic

Settin' em Up for the Wu
Juicy Fruit-Mtume

The night ended with Wookalar playing some Dabrye, me putting on the Juicy Fruit, and Wicked Lung closing it out with an orchestral version of the Star-Spangled Banner. It was beautiful. I'm sorry that alot of you couldn't make it, but it was a busy night, I understand. More rock is forthcoming!

Since this is Po-vember, I did not attend the De La Soul show last night, so no reviews for that. Tomorrow after work, Andy and I should be seeing Dan Melchior & the Broke Revue at Used Kids for free, which should be rather sweet. Come on over! Later on, it is the aforementioned Mannhaus Party! The theme is Big Dumb Rave, I guess, except for the music that I shall play. Saturday night I still wanna see the man below, any of you jazzers wanna come with?

Rock!

No comments: