Sunday, August 22, 2004

That party was a helluva thing.

Wow. Even this guy was there:

Or at least the best song he ever made an appearance (I was hoping Dave would just magically appear upon the utterance of "Bust 'em in the eye Shaq!" or whatever he says). Anyway, the Mannhaus party of the Friday night past was a seeerious summer jam, complete with a hot tub on the front porch (or an inflatable kiddie pool with a hose) and a cop showing up to silence the ruckus. Of course, being the dutiful DJ that I am, I was busy rockin' summer anthems like "Summertime" and "Kidd Drunkadelic" (People Under the Stairs), and therefore I didn't get into the hot tub until after the fuzz had fled (naw, the cop was cool). The only real problem I (and Chops) had with the party was the insistence of most of the hottubbing women to keep all their clothes on (and put on more, in some cases) when entering the pool, which seemed pretty silly, while most of the dudes got down to their boxers and stayed almost naked for hours (and in some cases, naked, but we won't get into that). All in all, though, it was a great time, and I'm glad that those who attended did so.
The rock has been slow as of late. I would like to be able to tell you about Dejavu's smokin' performance at the Dell Cafe last night, but as I'm sure you could gather from the first paragraph, last night was set aside for recovery for most people I know, and unfortunately I was unable to make it out to the scene. On Wednesday, however, Andy and I plan to make a voyage to the Beachland Ballroom in Cleveland to see Cincinnati's Ray's Music Exchange (actually, I guess it's their CD release party), with Texas' Greyhounds opening up. I'd still love to go up to Cleveland again on Friday night for Brand Nubian and Brother Ali at the Grog Shop, but since chances are lookin' slim, the Tough & Lovely CD release party at Skullys is a much better bet. And there could be something cool going down Saturday night, but we'll keep that on the DL for now. And with that, here's some quick...
Music Reviews

Yes, I finally have it (you like that jacked graphic? Me too). Sure, it took 5 stores over two nights including a trek through campus in the rain after work on Friday, but I found it for an acceptable price at the place I should have started, Magnolia Thunderpussy. Most of the tracks on here are pretty nice. Sure, a few of em meander towards mindless techno/groove/beats, but most songs are pretty solid, and there's some serious talent involved, so that doesn't hurt.

If you're looking for some solid good times hip-hop from affiliates of the legendary Roots crew (and let's face it, that's why you're here), then I recommend picking this up. I first heard of these guys in some magazine about 3 years ago, and I found a few MP3s in the last days of Napster. So basically, this album took two years too long to come out (it came out last summer). So there ain't much buzz these days, but there should be. There's some energetic party jams, a few more thoughtful, inspirational cuts, some production by ?uestlove, Scratch on the beatbox, and 88-Keys, and even a few funny skits (I think you should look out for the BEAT MONSTER!!!!!). Pick it up, pick it up, pick it up! Back on the scene, crispy and clean...ah fuck, you always gotta beware of them lyrical tangents.
OK, I'm sure that's enough to hold you over for a while. Hip-hop and ya don't stop.

No comments: