Saturday, August 07, 2004

It's just as good, I swear...

Current listenins cuz I'm too lazy to get off my ass and see them for free at the fair:

They sound pretty sweet back in the early 70s. I know, just like me, you can't believe a Grand Funk live album without "We're An American Band," but actually this could be a good thing. Seriously, they're rockin the fair right now, GOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

You need mo' rock (or Mo Rocca) plans? I reckon you came to the right hitchin' post, pardner. This afternoon, I'll probably make an appearance at Lost Weekend (your favorite Clintonville hole-in-the-wall record store and mine) to see new local band Lover Lover rock that place into the ground (well, and remind Kyle about my forthcoming Ravari Room rap-pearance). There is a veritable multitude (God, this Grand Funk album is killin shit right now) of shows going down tonight, coulda used one of em last night. Anywayz, I think Andy and I will make it two Saturdays in a row at a Little Brothers "rockin' 'cue." This time it's the Donewaiting.com Rock 'n Roll BBQ, promising free food from 7-9 (with only a $5 admission charge) and performances from Watershed, Woolworthy (Chicago), the Whiles, and the Last Hotel. You should come too.

AND YOU KNOW WHAT TUESDAY MEANS!!!!! ANDREW "FUNKY D" PATTON WITH WICKED LUNG & THE WOOKALAR PLAYIN REKKIDS AT THE RAVARI ROOM!!!! BE THERE OR DIE! OK, maybe that's a little harsh, I apologize. Anyway, it'll be a good time. I would link to the Ravari Room site, but it hasn't been updated in over a month, so fuck it. The address is 2657 N. High, directly on the corner of W. Dodridge and High, next to Hound Dog's. Music will start around 10 or 10:30.

Thursday brings us Elefant w/VHS or Beta and the Everyones at Little Brothers, and then Andy and I take off to Cincy for the weekend for.......SCRIBBLE JAM 2004!!!!! It's a hell of a thing.

So yeah, Recent Rock Reviews. Thursday night meant the second weekly gig for the New Basics Brass Band at the Ravari Room. Mo' horn funk fo dat azzzzz. Chops and I just about shit our pants when a song started with the tuba playing the bass line from "Rapper's Delight," and then the other horns came in with the "Sanford & Son" theme. Mega-killer! Wednesday night, Andy and I saw a fine bill of River of Wine, Wicked Lung & the Wookalar, and Doctah X at Skullys. River of Wine is really good, and will fucking rock when they've played together for a while. Antoine is still crazy on the bass, and seeing the owner of the Ravari Room workin the skins is pretty sweet too. I mean, how many bands do you know that have songs about Sonny Liston? That's what I thought. Wicked Lung & Wookalar were joined again by Fluff Snake on the drums, sweeeet. Now, there were no stuffed animals at this show, probably cuz it was clean ol Skullys, but they rocked just the same. Doctah X's crazy dub sounds were alright, but we left, due to the tiredness and all.

OK, that's enough. The Grand Funk Live album has just finished kicking my ass. Wow, if only the band had stuck with the game plan. Now it's time to listen to my grand haul from Dusty Groove that just arrived in the mail. It'll be WI-I-I-IIILD, MAN!

No comments: